• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How To Get An Amex Card Easily | Best Amex Credit Card For You | All Amex Card Eligibility Criteria

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
If you are a credit card enthusiast, then you must have an Amex card. Your credit card portfolio is incomplete if you don't have an American Express card. There are many reasons behind holding a credit card from Amex. They come up with frequent online and offline deals. Their reward system [MR Points] is one of the most rewarding and valuable credit card reward programmes.
Amex India offers four credit cards and two charge cards in India.

Credit Card List-
  1. Amex SmartEarn Credit Card
  2. Amex Membership Rewards Credit Card
  3. Amex Platinum Reserve Credit Card
  4. Amex Platinum Travel Credit Card
  5. AMEX Platinum Charge Card
  6. AMEX Gold Charge Card
Eligibility Criteria-
You must have a serviceable area address [can be your current address]. Normally, Amex doesn't ask for address proof.

Serviceable City List-
Guntur, Hyderabad, Krishna, Medak, Rangareddy, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bardoli, Surat, Vadodara, Ambala, Jhajjar, Panchkula, Bengaluru, Kochi, Bhopal, Indore, Mumbai, Pune, Raigad, Thane, Bhubaneswar, Khurdha, Mohali, Chennai, Coimbatore, Erode, Kanchipuram, Krishnagiri, Salem, Tiruvallur, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Hooghly, Howrah, Kolkata, North 24 Parganas, South 24 Parganas, Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Vijayawada, Ernakulam, Secunderabad, Aluva, Ropar, Hosur, Sriperumbudur, Tiruppur, Baramati, Navi Mumbai, Lucknow, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Nasik, Nagpur, Ludhiana,

2. Income:-

Card NameSalaried PersonSelf-Employed
AMEX SmartEarn Credit CardRs. 4,50,000Rs. 6,00,000
AMEX Membership Rewards Credit CardRs. 6,00,000Rs. 6,00,000
AMEX Platinum Travel Credit CardRs. 6,00,000Rs. 6,00,000
AMEX Platinum Reserve Credit CardRs. 6,00,000Rs. 6,00,000
AMEX Gold Charge CardRs. 6,00,000Rs. 6,00,000
AMEX Platinum Charge CardRs. 25,00,000Rs. 15,00,000

Things to remember when applying for an Amex card:

1. You must have an address in a serviceable area.
2. Your CIBIL score should be a minimum of 750.
3. No late payment entries in your CIBIL report in the last 7 years. [unofficial]
4. No more than three hard inquiries in the last three months. [unofficial]

If you are eligible, just apply for an AMEX card using this link - Click Here & Apply For AMEX Card.

Best Amex Credit Card For You:

Amex offers entry-level cards as well as ultra-premium cards. We typically use our American Express card to earn miles and hotel loyalty points. You have to choose the right credit card for you according to your needs and how you want to redeem your card's reward points.

Lets Simplify This-
  • If you are not looking for airmiles or hotel points but just want an AMEX card for their online and offline deals, then get an entry-level card like the Amex SmartEarn.
  • Get an AMEX MRCC if you can spend Rs. 1,50,000 per year [1,500 X 4 Transactions per Month] but aren't interested in airmiles.
  • If you are into airmiles games, you want to redeem your reward points for airmiles or hotel points, and you can spend Rs. 5,50,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 a year, then get AMEX Platinum Travel + AMEX Gold Charge + AMEX MRCC. More details below.
  • If you are looking for a pure lifestyle credit card and don't care about the card's fees or reward rate, then you can go for the American Express Platinum Charge Card.
Now, how to maximise your AMEX reward:
Apply for Amex Gold Charge, Amex Platinum Travel, and Amex MRCC. You can get MRCC as a companion card with an Amex Gold Charge. That means you don't have to pay any fees for the Membership Rewards Card as long as you hold an AMEX Gold Charge Card. And you can always negotiate with Amex for your other card's fees reversal, remember one think... If you don't ask for retention offer, you'll get nothing.

Use your Platinum Travel Card to spend Rs. 400,000:
If you spend 4L using your Plat travel card, you'll get 48,000 MR points and a Taj Hotel voucher of Rs. 10,000.
Regular MR for spending 4L = 8,000 MR
Milestone 1 [1.9L spends] = 15,000 MR
Milestone 2 [4L spends] = 25,000 MR, TAJ GV- 10K

Using your AMEX Gold Charge Card, spend Rs. 72,000:
If you make 6 transactions a month of Rs. 1,000 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 5X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points.
Total Points Per Year-
5X Bonus = 7200 MR
6 Transactions bonus = 12,000 MR
Total = 19,200 MR

Use your American Express MRCC to spend 72,000/2,40,000:
Case 1:
If you make 4 transactions a month of Rs. 1,500 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 2X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points.
Total Points Per Year-
2X Bonus = 2880 MR
Total = 14,880 MR

Case 2:
If you make 4 transactions a month of Rs. 1,500 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 2X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points, and spend a total of Rs. 20,000 a month.
Total Points Per Year-
2X Bonus on 72K = 2880 MR
Normal Reward On 1.68L = 3360 MR
20K Transaction bonus = 12,000 MR
Total = 30,240 MR

So, if you spend 4L using AMEX Platinum Travel + 72K using Gold Charge + 72K using MRCC (case 1), then you'll get a total of 82,080 MR points and a Taj hotel voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
Total Spends = Rs. 5,44,000
Total Value Back [If you value 1 MR = Rs. 0.80] = Rs. 75,664
Card Annual Fees you have to pay-
Gold Charge = Rs. 4,500 + 18% GST = Rs. 5310
Platinum Travel = Rs. 5000 + 18% GST = Rs. 5900
MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees= Rs. 11,210
Actual Value Back = Rs. 64,454 [after spending 5.44L]
Reward Rate-11.85%
# If you manage to get Platinum Travel Card fees waiver, then reward rate will be- 12.93%

Now,
If you spend 4 lakhs using AMEX Platinum Travel + 72K using Gold Charge + 2.40 lakhs using MRCC, then you'll get a total of 97,440 MR points and a Taj hotel voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
Total Spends = Rs. 7,12,000
Total Value Back [If you value 1 MR = Rs. 0.80] = Rs. 87,952
MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees = Rs. 11,210
After spending 7.12L, the actual value returned is Rs. 76,742.
Reward Rate-10.78%
# If you manage to get Platinum Travel Card fees waiver, then reward rate will be- 11.61%

Apply For AMEX Credit Card- Click Here (All Amex Card Application Link)

Last edited:

bing1309

TF Premier
I had 779 cibil and with 6 enquiry hard on same months applied amex plat travel in delhi airport with offline kyc and offline doc submission and approved on business working day that's it.

My business pvt ltd pos accepts amex cards and there are people swipe 60k to 2l per swipe I think that's the reason amex accepted my application

ketz1981

TF Buzz
1. Is it worthwhile getting Amex Platinum Travel as a replacement for Magnus?
2. What limit can I expect if I have 5 lakhs each on DCB Metal, SBI Elite and Magnus?
3. Do they still ask for income proof? Being a businessman, I had a low income shown last year but around 10 lakhs the year before? Can I submit that?
4. If I do get this, should I close the Magnus altogether?

bing1309

TF Premier
2. What limit can I expect if I have 5 lakhs each on DCB Metal, SBI Elite and Magnus?
3. Do they still ask for income proof? Being a businessman, I had a low income shown last year but around 10 lakhs the year before? Can I submit that?
It's a good replacement I have infact got it applied and approved with highest limit in cibil. Income proof I submitted done kyc offline and got approved.

vine

TF Premier
Can we have an updated version of this post. Looks like lots of things have changed in the last few days.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
1. Yes, depending on your expenses, anything around 4L yearly would be a great use case. Anything more, you can combine getting the AmEx trifecta to make the deal even sweeter.

2. It varies based on your income and could be similar or even higher.

3. Depending on your application and credit profile, a lot of people have gotten approved without any income proof. But the minimum requirement is 6L so even if they ask for it, you're good.

4. Absolutely! Use the card, get a hang of it for a few days and you won't like Magnus anymore.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions! :)

igormk38

TF Buzz
If you are a credit card enthusiast, then you must have an Amex card. Your credit card portfolio is incomplete if you don't have an American Express card. There are many reasons behind holding a credit card from Amex. They come up with frequent online and offline deals. Their reward system [MR Points] is one of the most rewarding and valuable credit card reward programmes.

Credit Card List-
  6. AMEX Gold Charge Card
Eligibility Criteria-
You must have a serviceable area address [can be your current address]. Normally, Amex doesn't ask for address proof.

Serviceable City List-
Guntur, Hyderabad, Krishna, Medak, Rangareddy, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bardoli, Surat, Vadodara, Ambala, Jhajjar, Panchkula, Bengaluru, Kochi, Bhopal, Indore, Mumbai, Pune, Raigad, Thane, Bhubaneswar, Khurdha, Mohali, Chennai, Coimbatore, Erode, Kanchipuram, Krishnagiri, Salem, Tiruvallur, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Hooghly, Howrah, Kolkata, North 24 Parganas, South 24 Parganas, Delhi, Noida, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Vijayawada, Ernakulam, Secunderabad, Aluva, Ropar, Hosur, Sriperumbudur, Tiruppur, Baramati, Navi Mumbai, Lucknow, Trivandrum, Mysuru, Nasik, Nagpur, Ludhiana,

3. No late payment entries in your CIBIL report in the last 7 years. [unofficial]

If you are eligible, just apply for an AMEX card using this link - Click Here & Apply For AMEX Card.

Amex offers entry-level cards as well as ultra-premium cards. We typically use our American Express card to earn miles and hotel loyalty points. You have to choose the right credit card for you according to your needs and how you want to redeem your card's reward points.

Lets Simplify This-
  • If you are not looking for airmiles or hotel points but just want an AMEX card for their online and offline deals, then get an entry-level card like the Amex SmartEarn.
  • Get an AMEX MRCC if you can spend Rs. 1,50,000 per year [1,500 X 4 Transactions per Month] but aren't interested in airmiles.
  • If you are into airmiles games, you want to redeem your reward points for airmiles or hotel points, and you can spend Rs. 5,50,000 to Rs. 8,00,000 a year, then get AMEX Platinum Travel + AMEX Gold Charge + AMEX MRCC. More details below.
  • If you are looking for a pure lifestyle credit card and don't care about the card's fees or reward rate, then you can go for the American Express Platinum Charge Card.
Apply for Amex Gold Charge, Amex Platinum Travel, and Amex MRCC. You can get MRCC as a companion card with an Amex Gold Charge. That means you don't have to pay any fees for the Membership Rewards Card as long as you hold an AMEX Gold Charge Card. And you can always negotiate with Amex for your other card's fees reversal, remember one think... If you don't ask for retention offer, you'll get nothing.

If you spend 4L using your Plat travel card, you'll get 48,000 MR points and a Taj Hotel voucher of Rs. 10,000.

If you make 6 transactions a month of Rs. 1,000 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 5X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points.
Total Points Per Year-
5X Bonus = 7200 MR
Total = 19,200 MR

Case 1:
If you make 4 transactions a month of Rs. 1,500 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 2X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points.
Total Points Per Year-
2X Bonus = 2880 MR
Total = 14,880 MR

Case 2:
If you make 4 transactions a month of Rs. 1,500 each via Amex reward multiplier [ex-buy any gift voucher], then you'll get 2X MR points + 1000 bonus MR points, and spend a total of Rs. 20,000 a month.
Total Points Per Year-
Total = 30,240 MR

So, if you spend 4L using AMEX Platinum Travel + 72K using Gold Charge + 72K using MRCC (case 1), then you'll get a total of 82,080 MR points and a Taj hotel voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees= Rs. 11,210
Reward Rate-11.85%
# If you manage to get Platinum Travel Card fees waiver, then reward rate will be- 12.93%

Now,
If you spend 4 lakhs using AMEX Platinum Travel + 72K using Gold Charge + 2.40 lakhs using MRCC, then you'll get a total of 97,440 MR points and a Taj hotel voucher worth Rs. 10,000.
MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees = Rs. 11,210
Reward Rate-10.78%
# If you manage to get Platinum Travel Card fees waiver, then reward rate will be- 11.61%

Hi @TechnoFino I tried applying for AmEx platinum travel card but got rejected. Reason was "After reviewing your application, it has come to our notice that the details provided in your application do not meet our internal requirements for Card issuance. As a result, we are not able to process your application."
I applied for first time and it got rejected during KYC as my aadhaar address was different. Second time, I made efforts to correct my aadhaar address and re-apply. I made sure to enter all details correctly but still got rejected. I called customer service and they said that the bank statement pdf format was incorrect and hence it got rejected by the system.
I used a 3rd party website to remove the encryption before uploading to AmEx portal. Is there anything that I have done wrong? They are asking me to wait another 90 days before re-applying. What do I do?

bing1309

TF Premier
Hi @TechnoFino I tried applying for AmEx platinum travel card but got rejected. Reason was "After reviewing your application, it has come to our notice that the details provided in your application do not meet our internal requirements for Card issuance. As a result, we are not able to process your application."
I applied for first time and it got rejected during KYC as my aadhaar address was different. Second time, I made efforts to correct my aadhaar address and re-apply. I made sure to enter all details correctly but still got rejected. I called customer service and they said that the bank statement pdf format was incorrect and hence it got rejected by the system.
I used a 3rd party website to remove the encryption before uploading to AmEx portal. Is there anything that I have done wrong? They are asking me to wait another 90 days before re-applying. What do I do?
You could have applied from airport offline and made offline kyc and give him required documents.
I gave all documents offline done everything offline it was very seamless process for amex

In offline make sure your amex employe will ask or take your phone and uses your email ID to send documents or acknowledgement make sure that email ID is in cibil so verification is much smoother.

6 things keep with you. If self employed
1. Adhar original
2. Pan original
3. Business card of you
4. Google map shows your office board when they type the address where it has images and live view of road.
5. Flight ticket.
6. Itr acknowledgement copy no need computation.

In my case amex did not even verify physical location or anything just the agent saw in Google everything confirmed took image of my business card and that's it took signatures on adhar and pan made xerox etc got signed. card approved in 2 days via offline mode with a limit more than the current limt cards i hold, I was getting online vkyc etc during this 2 days asked agent what to do he said dont do anything i will take care, agent had sent some text in airport itself via my mail to his mail before and did some process. Very seamless. Also agent don't use any referral anything they are very clear,
When I gave my itr they said sir do you want centurion it can be given to you no issues in 2 days card will be approved if you need let me know. I said I want platinum travel will upgrade or ask for that card in future, he said incase you need just ask me or visit me will get it done seamless and added some code from my mail to his mail and forwarded it to amex for centurion. sometimes more seamless than what we think.

Last edited:

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge

Oops, never use any third-party tools even to remove encryption, they see them as edits and don't approve such cases.

If you want to apply for the same card again, you need to wait for 90 days.

DM me more details about your employment, CIBIL and the card variant you want, I can look deeper into the application and try to help. :)

igormk38

TF Buzz
You could have applied from airport offline and made offline kyc and give him required documents.
I gave all documents offline done everything offline it was very seamless process for amex

In offline make sure your amex employe will ask or take your phone and uses your email ID to send documents or acknowledgement make sure that email ID is in cibil so verification is much smoother.

6 things keep with you. If self employed
1. Adhar original
2. Pan original
3. Business card of you
4. Google map shows your office board when they type the address where it has images and live view of road.
5. Flight ticket.
6. Itr acknowledgement copy no need computation.

In my case amex did not even verify physical location or anything just the agent saw in Google everything confirmed took image of my business card and that's it card approved in 2 days via offline mode, I was getting online vkyc etc but agent some text via my mail to his mail and do some process. Very seamless.
@bing1309 thanks for this tip! Looks like I have to wait another 90 days again :/ I will try this after 90 days.

vine

TF Premier
Oops, never use any third-party tools even to remove encryption, they see them as edits and don't approve such cases.

If you want to apply for the same card again, you need to wait for 90 days.

DM me more details about your employment, CIBIL and the card variant you want, I can look deeper into the application and try to help. :)
My query specifically about removing password on password protected PDF files, not about Amex.
What's the best/safest way to remove the password protection?

herefordeals

TF Buzz
RML Group
VIP Lounge
My query specifically about removing password on password protected PDF files, not about Amex.
What's the best/safest way to remove the password protection?
Just give print command on the opened password protected documents and save as pdf.

rushitbvm

TF Buzz

Credit Card List-
  6. AMEX Gold Charge Card
Eligibility Criteria-

Serviceable City List-

Lets Simplify This-

Total Points Per Year-
5X Bonus = 7200 MR
Total = 19,200 MR

Case 1:
Total Points Per Year-
2X Bonus = 2880 MR
Total = 14,880 MR

Case 2:
Total Points Per Year-
Total = 30,240 MR

MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees= Rs. 11,210
Reward Rate-11.85%

Now,
MRCC = 0* Companion Card
Total Fees = Rs. 11,210
Reward Rate-10.78%

Get a card using my referral and get Membership rewards points and Limited Edition Explorer Kit

PrinceHeart

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Referral link use kar lunga. Alag se paise bhi dunga. Mera non-servicable area hai. Company wale nahi de raha hai.

Mera luck hi bad hai. When amex start devaluation of their cards, then i will get them lol.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I really fail to understand the lure of Amex. None of their cards are very rewarding. Even when converting points to Marriott Bonvoy, the actual value of points is less than 30 paise. If you check MB website and try to redeem for May in Jaipur, which is the most off peak month for the destination, you would find that the Four Points by Sheraton (part of MB) is around 3k for cash but requires 15k points! That is just horrendous. Same story for Marriott Jaipur. So not only we get around 1% return via points on regular spends and max 6% via accelerator, later that return is further reduced by 75% or more when actually trying to use these points. Like spending 4 lakhs on Platinum travel and getting 48k points means a return of just around 15k real value, which is under barely 4%. Most other cards would beat it by a fair margin. Please review the attachment.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.png
    IMG_0324.png
    663 KB · Views: 3

PrinceHeart

TF Premier
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I really fail to understand the lure of Amex. None of their cards are very rewarding. Even when converting points to Marriott Bonvoy, the actual value of points is less than 30 paise. If you check MB website and try to redeem for May in Jaipur, which is the most off peak month for the destination, you would find that the Four Points by Sheraton (part of MB) is around 3k for cash but requires 15k points! That is just horrendous. Same story for Marriott Jaipur. So not only we get around 1% return via points on regular spends and max 6% via accelerator, later that return is further reduced by 75% or more when actually trying to use these points. Like spending 4 lakhs on Platinum travel and getting 48k points means a return of just around 15k real value, which is under barely 4%. Most other cards would beat it by a fair margin. Please review the attachment.
Amex like gucci and armani of cards.

Period. 😁

sousnake

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Sir I had total 4L spends - 2L offline + 1 L nps + 1 L online - got 46k points + 2k referral points. So total 48k. Have MRCC as well - so converted to amazon at 16k
Sold taj voucher of 10k for 6k which covered next year fee.
In total reward rate of 4%
Tell me 1 card which gives better return.

Smartbuy giftedge blah blah will not work.
I am not saying amex is best. But after getting amex and redemption option for amazon, for me it gives better return than DCB atleast.

Last edited: