• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help with miles usage for UK and Japan Trips

Hi folks. I'm new to the miles game and wanted to make sure I don't make a silly mistake in my situation.

I currently have 56k Virgin Points in my Virgin account and another 95k Amex points.

I am planning on travelling to the UK in July and Japan in November from Mumbai this year. Any advice on what would be the most optimal way to use these points? Would be needing a single return ticket for both trips and would prefer direct flights in either Premium Economy or Business.

I'm able to get a round trip premium economy Mumbai to London on Virgin in July for 55k points with 563 pounds in taxes. The high taxes here doesn't feel like I'm getting great value.

For flying to Tokyo, Virgin has ANA as a transfer partner but when searching Mumbai - Tokyo reward flights on ANA's website, they specifically mention the reward ticket is available via either ANA miles or Star Alliance, "partner airlines" is showing as unavailable, which is what I assume Virgin would fall under?

I'm not able to find another way to use the points for Tokyo flights. I could do Amex to Bonvoy to ANA miles but the transfer ratio of 3:1 means I will only end up with around 31k ANA miles which isn't enough.

- How would you recommend I use the points in my position?
- Does anyone know if using Virgin points to book the Mumbai-Tokyo route on ANA would be possible?
- Any other suggestions on how to use the points for direct flights to Tokyo?
- Would using the Amex points for hotel redemptions through Bonvoy provide better value?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi folks. I'm new to the miles game and wanted to make sure I don't make a silly mistake in my situation.

I currently have 56k Virgin Points in my Virgin account and another 95k Amex points.

I am planning on travelling to the UK in July and Japan in November from Mumbai this year. Any advice on what would be the most optimal way to use these points? Would be needing a single return ticket for both trips and would prefer direct flights in either Premium Economy or Business.

I'm able to get a round trip premium economy Mumbai to London on Virgin in July for 55k points with 563 pounds in taxes. The high taxes here doesn't feel like I'm getting great value.

For flying to Tokyo, Virgin has ANA as a transfer partner but when searching Mumbai - Tokyo reward flights on ANA's website, they specifically mention the reward ticket is available via either ANA miles or Star Alliance, "partner airlines" is showing as unavailable, which is what I assume Virgin would fall under?

I'm not able to find another way to use the points for Tokyo flights. I could do Amex to Bonvoy to ANA miles but the transfer ratio of 3:1 means I will only end up with around 31k ANA miles which isn't enough.

- Does anyone know if using Virgin points to book the Mumbai-Tokyo route on ANA would be possible?
- Would using the Amex points for hotel redemptions through Bonvoy provide better value?

You cannot ask others what would give the best value. Value is not a measurable quantity. I prefer my MB points for Marriott stays, but your use case is different. I do have enough miles on airlines and so I do not worry about it. Again, that's my case, not yours. To each their own.

Now let me answer your question about booking ANA via Virgin Atlantic points. The search and booking process is roundabout and tedious. You cannot search the VS calendar directly. You have to search for availability through another Star Alliance partner (eg United or Aeroplan) and then call into VS to book. Surcharges are high and similar to booking with ANA directly.

When you call VS, they would submit in a request, and then after a small wait they will tell you your booking is confirmed. Sometimes, they will not be able to get confirmation from ANA, and so you will be given a booking reference number, and you can call in after a couple of hours to confirm your booking.

Also, remember that VS passes on the surcharges by ANA, and so will be equivalent. The fuel surcharge is based on the two-month average of the Singapore Kerosene-type jet fuel price

CC_Fire

TF Premier

@kermitfrogit Can you share what did you eventually end up doing? I am in the same boat, looking to travel to Japan from BOM and looking at a business class award ticket. Have Axis ERs which can be flexibly transferred to SQ/VA/JAL

@kermitfrogit Can you share what did you eventually end up doing? I am in the same boat, looking to travel to Japan from BOM and looking at a business class award ticket. Have Axis ERs which can be flexibly transferred to SQ/VA/JAL

Not sure if this was the most efficient route but I got a business class return on ANA booked via Virgin. Cost 65k points and 30k in taxes.

Had to call/email Virgin to book it. Call has long wait times but they respond on email within 24 hours and are quite efficient. They did at first say there was no availability showing in their system but they went ahead with the booking after I shared a screenshot showing reward availability on ANA's website.

CC_Fire

TF Premier
Not sure if this was the most efficient route but I got a business class return on ANA booked via Virgin. Cost 65k points and 30k in taxes.

Had to call/email Virgin to book it. Call has long wait times but they respond on email within 24 hours and are quite efficient. They did at first say there was no availability showing in their system but they went ahead with the booking after I shared a screenshot showing reward availability on ANA's website.
thanks for this. Very helpful

So you first setup an ANA account to check award ticket availability and then called Virgin to book this?

thanks for this. Very helpful

So you first setup an ANA account to check award ticket availability and then called Virgin to book this?

Yup exactly. I would email Virgin first with the flights you want and the screenshot of ANA’s site showing reward availability