• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC DCB Metal vs ICICI Emeralde Private vs Axis Magnus (non burgundy)

sidk04

TF Buzz
I have 3 premium cards and would like to keep only 1.
1. DCB; Renewal on August 2024; limit of INR 8 Lakhs
2. Emeralde Private; Renewal January 2025; limit of INR 16 Lakhs
3. Magnus (Non Burgundy); Renewal December 2024; limit of INR 7 Lakhs

Few Things before giving my understating for comparison-
1. I am not eligible for HDFC Infinia as I do not have any relation with HDFC Bank for getting one.
2. I do not use smart buy for purchase. I know its beneficial but I do not. I know it does not make sense.
3. I have never and will not be playing Golf even though its free.
4. Welcome Benefit won't matter since I have utilized them for all.
5. Normally my average monthly spends are around 50 to 60K. Once a year they would cross INR 3 Lakhs due to foreign trip.

Now below is the comparison I have made. Want to know what I have missed for making the decision.
RewardsBMS BogoRenewal benefitLoungeOther Benfit
DCB
3.33%​
NANAUnlimitedNA
ICICI Emeralde Private
3.00%​
Rs. 750, 2 times12,500 points plus Eazy DinerUnlimitedCancellation waiver till ₹12K
Axis Magnus
(non burgundy)
2.40%​
Rs. 500, 5 timesNAUnlimited40% off till 1K in Eazy Diner

From above comparison it seems that even though reward rate is high for DCB, Emeralde and Magnus have better non spend benefits. With renewal benefit Emeralde has best value after first year. Am I missing something?

Now one thing I haven't taken into consideration is the Flex Factor. I know its petty but its one of the many reason I have opted for premium card. Now i am pretty sure that Magus is easiest to get. However, between DCB and Emeralde Private which card has flex factor?

Last edited:

infinia_finally

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
With your spend pattern, you will cross 7.5L in 6 months. When you see that, immediately email HDFC and request for Infinia FYF upgrade. Infinia will have the flex factor you need.

Pravas

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

1. I am not eligible for HDFC Infinia as I do not have any relation with HDFC Bank for getting one.
2. I do not use smart buy for purchase. I know its beneficial but I do not. I know it does not make sense.
5. Normally my average monthly spends are around 50 to 60K. Once a year they would cross INR 3 Lakhs due to foreign trip.

Now below is the comparison I have made. Want to know what I have missed for making the decision.
DCB
3.33%​
NANAUnlimitedNA
ICICI Emeralde Private
3.00%​
Rs. 750, 2 times12,500 points plus Eazy DinerUnlimitedCancellation waiver till ₹12K
Axis Magnus
(non burgundy)
2.40%​

From above comparison it seems that even though reward rate is high for DCB, Emeralde and Magnus have better non spend benefits. With renewal benefit Emeralde has best value after first year. Am I missing something?

Now one thing I haven't taken into consideration is the Flex Factor. I know its petty but its one of the many reason I have opted for premium card. Now i am pretty sure that Magus is easiest to get. However, between DCB and Emeralde Private which card has flex factor?
If you can satisfy the salary/income criteria for infinia, keep using the DCB and after your foreign trip ask for infina upgrade

Otherwise keep Emeralde private as you will get your renewal fees back as points and reward wise it's close enough to DCB. Also it has decent BMS benifits.

anotheruser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

DCB
3.33%​
NANAUnlimitedNA
ICICI Emeralde Private
3.00%​
Axis Magnus
(non burgundy)
2.40%​

" I am not eligible for HDFC Infinia as I do not have any relation with HDFC Bank for getting one."
You do not need any relation with hdfc for infinia. My DCB was upgraded to Infinia based on spends and CL only. It was ~1+ years back though, not sure if they have changed things now.

Even my spends normally dont satify the criteria, but I timed few purchases within 6 months to create my case and it worked