• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Has anyone got the Tap & Pay (NFC) feature on UPI yet ?

finbro

TF Buzz
I saw the demo while they were unveiling it and have been waiting to try it with my own hands.

Any of y'all got to try it on UPI or UPI Lite ?

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
also ig are fintech apps will be handing out new NFC enabled qrs to merchants.also not sure how it will work
because in NFC payments the amount needs to pe put in by the merchant
and in case of qr based NFC not sure how will it be implemented

finbro

TF Buzz
any pos machine will have a qr with NFC
The existing POS machine with NFC will work only with cards I guess.
UPI NFC will require a new type of POS which specifically accepts accepting UPI through NFC.

I used BHIM UPI app (they recently updated it with UPI Lite X i.e. UPI Lite Tap & Pay). I installed it on two NFC enabled smartphones and tried sending payment from one phone to the other. Even though the app showed "device connected" on both the phones when tapped to each other, the payment didn't go through.

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
UPI NFC will require a new type of POS which specifically accepts accepting UPI through NFC.

I used BHIM UPI app (they recently updated it with UPI Lite X i.e. UPI Lite Tap & Pay). I installed it on two NFC enabled smartphones and tried sending payment from one phone to the other. Even though the app showed "device connected" on both the phones when tapped to each other, the payment didn't go through.
does upi on npfc work phone to phone basis i dont think so?
because in a pos a system generates a amount to be paid and that info is transmitted via nfc
thats why it works
in a phone to phone method no info is transmiteed

finbro

TF Buzz
does upi on npfc work phone to phone basis i dont think so?
because in a pos a system generates a amount to be paid and that info is transmitted via nfc
thats why it works
in a phone to phone method no info is transmiteed
There are two versions of UPI:

1. UPI Lite (works as a wallet i.e. receipt & payment happens through on device wallet and is not connected to bank account)

2. UPI (bank account is connected in this case and receipt & payments directly hit the bank)

Now NFC is introduced in both the above versions of UPI and their branding is:

1. UPI Lite X (Wallet)
2. UPI X (Bank)

UPI Lite X was demoed at the seminar on which they introduced these products and was shown to support device to device transfer with NFC. (Its on YouTube)

UPI X should also support device to device tranfer because in conventional UPI the data transmitted through QR Code can easily be transmitted through NFC.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator

Based on my understanding, this QR code for Tap and Pay, which is called UPI LITE X, is primarily branding. When a merchant enters the amount, both QR codes will generate a unique amount, and the Tap and Pay option, similar to regular tap and pay, will appear for the merchant. So, there is no hardware change; Rupay simply supports Tap and Pay. I have two Rupay cards, Tata Infinity and ICICI Rupay, and both display the contactless logo. The reason QR codes are popular is because users can select the amount they want to send, whereas with Tap and Pay, you need to enter a specific amount.

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
UPI Lite X was demoed at the seminar on which they introduced these products and was shown to support device to device transfer with NFC. (Its on YouTube)

UPI X should also support device to device tranfer because in conventional UPI the data transmitted through QR Code can easily be transmitted through NFC.
oh didnt know this

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
Based on my understanding, this QR code for Tap and Pay, which is called UPI LITE X, is primarily branding. When a merchant enters the amount, both QR codes will generate a unique amount, and the Tap and Pay option, similar to regular tap and pay, will appear for the merchant. So, there is no hardware change; Rupay simply supports Tap and Pay. I have two Rupay cards, Tata Infinity and ICICI Rupay, and both display the contactless logo. The reason QR codes are popular is because users can select the amount they want to send, whereas with Tap and Pay, you need to enter a specific amount.
yes this was my understanding
in device to device nfc cant be possible because either one of the two devices would be required to raise a request to receive money which as of now is only possible via upi id

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
There are two versions of UPI:

1. UPI Lite (works as a wallet i.e. receipt & payment happens through on device wallet and is not connected to bank account)

2. UPI (bank account is connected in this case and receipt & payments directly hit the bank)

Now NFC is introduced in both the above versions of UPI and their branding is:

1. UPI Lite X (Wallet)
2. UPI X (Bank)

oh i didn't knew this. if possible do share link of the demo. thanks