• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Federal Credit Card - Unauthorized Transaction

Grogu

TF Premier
So, I got a message from Federal Bank this afternoon - Trxn of USD 8.38 at whitman coin and collecti on 26-03-2024 declined on your credit card ending with 0000, as international POS trxn facility is currently disabled on your card. That means someone tried to use my Federal Imperio card and message is from AD-FEDBNK (I can see all of my previous transactions on this sender).

How is it possible for someone to use this card when it's in my wallet, does he have the full details like card number and CVV / expiry date?

I think it's better to block the card and get a replacement?

talkwithfino

TF Premier
Yes, someone does have full details including Card number/ CVV and expiry date; and they are correct; otherwise it wouldn't have triggered a transaction; which got blocked cause you have disabled international transactions

Yes, it's better to Block this card and get a replacement (to be on safe side); if your Credit limit is high I would def suggest this.

On the flipside, lets say if the transaction would have gone through ( if you had enabled intl transaction + they don't require OTP most of the time), you can immediately report it as fraud transaction. But IMO, it is better to avoid all that hassle and get a replacement credit card. Idk the replacement fees, but Ig even Rs 500 would be worth, the peace of mind
EDIT:-
POS transaction means card swipe
Yes
how does someone have my card details
I can't say for sure
might have got leaked from some portal where you saved your card (data breach); ATM skimming, POS terminal skimming and other ways....

Last edited:

Grogu

TF Premier
Yes, someone does have full details including Card number/ CVV and expiry date; and they are correct; otherwise it wouldn't have triggered a transaction; which got blocked cause you have disabled international transactions

Yes, it's better to Block this card and get a replacement (to be on safe side); if your Credit limit is high I would def suggest this.

On the flipside, lets say if the transaction would have gone through ( if you had enabled intl transaction + they don't require OTP most of the time), you can immediately report it as fraud transaction. But IMO, it is better to avoid all that hassle and get a replacement credit card. Idk the replacement fees, but Ig even Rs 500 would be worth, the peace of mind
I'm confused, how does someone have my card details. POS transaction means card swipe and not an online transaction right?

Grogu

TF Premier
Update - Sent an email to Federal bank customer care on unauthorized transaction.

Let's see if they acknowledge the data breach.

helloworld

TF Legend
I'm confused, how does someone have my card details. POS transaction means card swipe and not an online transaction right?

1711863556150.png

Its not particularly related to swipe but can also considered online transaction, sometimes.

as international POS trxn facility is currently disabled on your card

It can also mean your overall international trxn disabled, not particularly Offline POS related.

----

Based on your transaction message, I interpreted like this.. I might be wrong that your card actually used in Offline POS machines. If that is the case, your card cloned with your number, expiry, CVV along with magnetic stripe/chip (which is not easy process, IMO).

Note: These terminologies are bank specific, so contact bank to know exactly what they'll consider as POS.

Last edited: