• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit Limit usage

vysakh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
There is this recommendation to keep the usage under 30% of the limit, but where does this limit apply? Is it per card? per bank? overall?

If I have one card with low limit and high usage (>30%) and another one with high limit but low usage (<10%) and if the usage and limits are combined, then the usage goes to less than 30%, will that affect the credit score? (Repeated occurrence and not just a one off case)

chacks18

TF Select
I have CIBIL Subscription from last march, I refresh my score regularly to check what factors usually affect the score most.
As per my personal experience, all of my outstanding amounts were reported by banks almost on a monthly basis.
Whenever there was outstanding amount reported by banks there was lowest of 1 to highest of 15 points difference I noticed, in my case.
So yes, it definitely affects the score negatively if any outstanding amount is there in your cards or especially loan accounts for pay later services. I'm not 100% sure about If the limits are also combinedly considered as the outstanding, but it should definitely be considered (common logic)

I was also curious about this utilization thing, as it is flagged under High Impact. So I'm planning to clear my dues making payments before statement generation as mostly all the banks report the usage as per the statement. I appreciate if anyone confirms if this will work smoothly.

LUKA

TF Select
There is this recommendation to keep the usage under 30% of the limit, but where does this limit apply? Is it per card? per bank? overall?

If I have one card with low limit and high usage (>30%) and another one with high limit but low usage (<10%) and if the usage and limits are combined, then the usage goes to less than 30%, will that affect the credit score? (Repeated occurrence and not just a one off case)
I a bill generation you can say. And you need to check date on when bank reporting to CIBIL.

Kuldeep khola

TF Select
VIP Lounge

If I have one card with low limit and high usage (>30%) and another one with high limit but low usage (<10%) and if the usage and limits are combined, then the usage goes to less than 30%, will that affect the credit score? (Repeated occurrence and not just a one off casem

jatinkrmalik

TF Select
VIP Lounge
IMHO, it doesn't really matter that much. If you pay your bills on time and are not regularly maxing out your credit cards, once in a while even going over 70% is okay. Just don't make it a habit.

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin

its per card and per total credit limit... both... I'll suggest you to follow this video - How To Maintain Credit Utilization Ratio Under 30% | Steps You Must Follow | Pro Tips 🔥🔥🔥 -

22sumit

TF Select
its per card and per total credit limit... both... I'll suggest you to follow this video - How To Maintain Credit Utilization Ratio Under 30% | Steps You Must Follow | Pro Tips 🔥🔥🔥 -

How does utilization ratio work for cards having shared limits? I do need to maintain <30% utilization for each card separately or as a whole?