• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Closed my 4 years old Citi Rewards card!

mangalorean

TF Select
Today, I finally closed my Citi rewards card. I initially got this card almost four years ago and was always impressed with their customer service. Unlike some other banks, reaching a human agent was incredibly easy. Plus, the card had a very reasonable INR 30,000 annual fee waiver criteria.

While I used this card frequently in the beginning, especially for apparel purchases with its instant point redemption feature, I found the reward rates underwhelming compared to my other cards. Furthermore, redeeming vouchers (other than those from eligible transactions) required a hefty minimum of 10,000 points.

My initial credit limit was INR 40,000. After two and a half years, they increased it to INR 60,000 – still significantly lower than my other cards with limits ten times higher. My requests for limit enhancements were consistently denied. Four months ago, I attempted to close the card and even requested it be converted to a lifetime free (LTF) option, but that was also denied. Despite this, they offered me INR 2,000 in retention credits, which I accepted. However, I knew it wouldn't change my decision to close the card, especially with the pending Axis Bank transition. I already have two Axis cards (Airtel and Flipkart) with a substantial shared limit, leaving me uninterested in additional Axis offerings at this time.

On 4th of March, I submitted a closure request and received this email:
1709880089308.png
I followed the email instructions and called the provided number. After wading through a slow IVR (unfortunately, not toll-free), I was finally transferred to the retention team. As expected, they tried hard to keep my business due to my previous spending history. Since I'd already met the annual fee waiver threshold, they suggested I keep the card for a few more months in hopes that Axis Bank would present a similar or better offer. I declined and proceeded with the closure request. In a last-ditch effort, the agent offered me the IndianOil Citi Credit Card, even suggesting an LTF option based on my Citi relationship. I declined this as well.

At last, the agent accepted my closure request and closed the card for good.
1709880632503.png
I truly appreciated Citi's exceptional customer service; no other bank compares. It's a shame they're leaving India and didn't have stronger rewards programs. As the saying goes, all good things come to an end.

Do you still have a Citi card? Are you keeping it or planning to close it?

Itsoldsport

TF Buzz
I have 3 Axis cards and also a Citi Rewards card (My first CC). Just waiting to see what Axis might offer due to this merger else I might also close it soon too.

Just kept it because of their service :(

leonneel

TF Premier
I never had the chance to own a Citi card but my current favourite card is kotak mojo and Myntra. For the mojo card to talk to customer care all I have to do is send a sms KASSIST and within seconds customer care calls u.
How convenient is that!

mangalorean

TF Select
I never had the chance to own a Citi card but my current favourite card is kotak mojo and Myntra. For the mojo card to talk to customer care all I have to do is send a sms KASSIST and within seconds customer care calls u.
How convenient is that!
I have the Kotak Myntra and was thinking about closing it. Used it heavily during the recent sale and feels like it’s a decent card.

dvader

TF Premier
Hey, Man, I was about to close the card myself. Called the CC, and asked them to convert it to LTF or close it, but got denied ofc; asked them to downgrade to CITI IOCL LTF if possible, they obliged and it got swapped. I did not pressure them or anything just a small conversation, gave the woman my options and she swapped it to LTF IOCL, confirmed twice in the call. See if someone else gets a swap too. I think CITI is worth it until the day it gets forcefully replaced by a shitty Axes card.

mangalorean

TF Select
Hey, Man, I was about to close the card myself. Called the CC, and asked them to convert it to LTF or close it, but got denied ofc; asked them to downgrade to CITI IOCL LTF if possible, they obliged and it got swapped. I did not pressure them or anything just a small conversation, gave the woman my options and she swapped it to LTF IOCL, confirmed twice in the call. See if someone else gets a swap too. I think CITI is worth it until the day it gets forcefully replaced by a shitty Axes card.
They offered me the same as well. But I didn't want to continue with Citi as already have way too many cards and just wanted to close it.

lightwaves

TF Premier
Today, I finally closed my Citi rewards card. I initially got this card almost four years ago and was always impressed with their customer service. Unlike some other banks, reaching a human agent was incredibly easy. Plus, the card had a very reasonable INR 30,000 annual fee waiver criteria.

While I used this card frequently in the beginning, especially for apparel purchases with its instant point redemption feature, I found the reward rates underwhelming compared to my other cards. Furthermore, redeeming vouchers (other than those from eligible transactions) required a hefty minimum of 10,000 points.

My initial credit limit was INR 40,000. After two and a half years, they increased it to INR 60,000 – still significantly lower than my other cards with limits ten times higher. My requests for limit enhancements were consistently denied. Four months ago, I attempted to close the card and even requested it be converted to a lifetime free (LTF) option, but that was also denied. Despite this, they offered me INR 2,000 in retention credits, which I accepted. However, I knew it wouldn't change my decision to close the card, especially with the pending Axis Bank transition. I already have two Axis cards (Airtel and Flipkart) with a substantial shared limit, leaving me uninterested in additional Axis offerings at this time.

On 4th of March, I submitted a closure request and received this email:
1709880089308.png
I followed the email instructions and called the provided number. After wading through a slow IVR (unfortunately, not toll-free), I was finally transferred to the retention team. As expected, they tried hard to keep my business due to my previous spending history. Since I'd already met the annual fee waiver threshold, they suggested I keep the card for a few more months in hopes that Axis Bank would present a similar or better offer. I declined and proceeded with the closure request. In a last-ditch effort, the agent offered me the IndianOil Citi Credit Card, even suggesting an LTF option based on my Citi relationship. I declined this as well.

At last, the agent accepted my closure request and closed the card for good.
1709880632503.png
I truly appreciated Citi's exceptional customer service; no other bank compares. It's a shame they're leaving India and didn't have stronger rewards programs. As the saying goes, all good things come to an end.

Do you still have a Citi card? Are you keeping it or planning to close it?
CITI was my first CC six years ago. The transactions have drastically reduced over the last year as I got better CCs from other banks. Now I use it in case there’s any offer. It’s LTF CC, so I’m just keeping it. And totally agree with the Customer care part. CITI had the best services.

mangalorean

TF Select
CITI was my first CC six years ago. The transactions have drastically reduced over the last year as I got better CCs from other banks. Now I use it in case there’s any offer. It’s LTF CC, so I’m just keeping it. And totally agree with the Customer care part. CITI had the best services.
Yup. Nothing even comes close to the customer service offered by Citi.

100Rabh_negi

TF Premier
Have been holding Citi Rewards LTF from 10+ Yrs as being my first ever credit card. Love the service they have been offering and its sad to see them going. Still holding it due to the long credit age and the service + card being LTF. Not sure which card Axis will offer. By looking at their Dil Se Openness i am expecting no more than a discounted or FYF Free Privilege card which i am most likely gonna ignore.

paresh22

TF Ace
Have been holding Citi Rewards LTF from 10+ Yrs as being my first ever credit card. Love the service they have been offering and its sad to see them going. Still holding it due to the long credit age and the service + card being LTF. Not sure which card Axis will offer. By looking at their Dil Se Openness i am expecting no more than a discounted or FYF Free Privilege card which i am most likely gonna ignore.
This may be replacement https://www.axisbank.com/retail/cards/credit-card/rewards-credit-card for Citi Rewards card.

mangalorean

TF Select
How did you get it LTF? Eventhough they were begging me not to close the card, they didn't agree to convert it to LTF but offered to waive the fees.

100Rabh_negi

TF Premier
How did you get it LTF? Eventhough they were begging me not to close the card, they didn't agree to convert it to LTF but offered to waive the fees.
It was issued as LTF only at the time of joining my first company with a limit 5.5L (more than my salary at that time) , which is still the highest for my existing cards. I had their saving account and Corporate credit card as well but closed both after i left that company around 6 years ago. Exceptionally good service. Keeping this card just for the sake of good old days.