• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Booking Air India tickets using Miles for Axis CC Holders

Rajeev

TF Select
VIP Lounge
In this post I will explain how to find and book Air India award tickets with miles. Since Air India is a member of Star Alliance, we can book their flights using miles from other members. From the list of Magnus transfer partners, you can buy Air India tickets using United Airlines and Singapore Airline Miles. Turkish Airlines is also part of Star Alliance, but I couldn't find an option to book Air India flights with their miles.

For this post, I will take an example of booking a one-way ticket from Bangalore to Paris on April 13,2023.

Booking using Singapore Airlines:

1. Create a Krisflyer account. (KrisFlyer is the rewards programme of the Singapore Airlines.)

2. Once you log in, you'll see the option to search for flights. Here you need to select the "Redeem flights" option, and enter the rest of the details as usual.

SQ-1.png

3. On the next screen, select the option to see flights from Star Alliance partners. Once you select this option, it will show you the flights from Star Alliance partners you can book. In our case, it is showing an Air India flight from Bangalore to Paris and the miles requirement is 30,500 miles.

SQ-2.png

4. You can select the required flight and it will show you extra taxes to be paid along with the miles. You can go ahead and book the flight now.

Booking using United Airlines:

1. Create a united mileage plus account.

2. You will see the option to search for flights once you log in. Here you need to select the "Book with Miles" option, and enter the rest of the details as
usual.

United - 1.png

3. On the next screen, you'll see all the available flights. The list also includes a list of all flights from partner airlines. Here you have options from multiple flights, and you can see a mixed itinerary of Vistara + Air India. You can select the required flight and book it.

United - 2 .png

Hope this post helps. Feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

ak90

TF Buzz
In this post I will explain how to find and book Air India award tickets with miles. Since Air India is a member of Star Alliance, we can book their flights using miles from other members. From the list of Magnus transfer partners, you can buy Air India tickets using United Airlines and Singapore Airline Miles. Turkish Airlines is also part of Star Alliance, but I couldn't find an option to book Air India flights with their miles.

For this post, I will take an example of booking a one-way ticket from Bangalore to Paris on April 13,2023.

1. Create a Krisflyer account. (KrisFlyer is the rewards programme of the Singapore Airlines.)

2. Once you log in, you'll see the option to search for flights. Here you need to select the "Redeem flights" option, and enter the rest of the details as usual.

SQ-1.png

3. On the next screen, select the option to see flights from Star Alliance partners. Once you select this option, it will show you the flights from Star Alliance partners you can book. In our case, it is showing an Air India flight from Bangalore to Paris and the miles requirement is 30,500 miles.

SQ-2.png

4. You can select the required flight and it will show you extra taxes to be paid along with the miles. You can go ahead and book the flight now.

2. You will see the option to search for flights once you log in. Here you need to select the "Book with Miles" option, and enter the rest of the details as
usual.

United - 1.png

3. On the next screen, you'll see all the available flights. The list also includes a list of all flights from partner airlines. Here you have options from multiple flights, and you can see a mixed itinerary of Vistara + Air India. You can select the required flight and book it.

United - 2 .png

Do any of these have family pooling/ allow you to book tickets for someone else?

Reactions: 787

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
How much miles+taxes does krisflyer cost vs United for the same flight.

Thank you!

Rajeev

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Do any of these have family pooling/ allow you to book tickets for someone else?
United allows you to book flights for someone else. Singapore Airlines allows you to add up to 5 nominees and you can book tickets for them. When it comes to family pooling, Singapore Airlines permits you to link a child's account to a parent's and pool miles. I don't think there is an option to pool miles among two adults. United does not allow family pooling at all.

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
United allows you to book flights for someone else. Singapore Airlines allows you to add up to 5 nominees and you can book tickets for them. When it comes to family pooling, Singapore Airlines permits you to link a child's account to a parent's and pool miles. I don't think there is an option to pool miles among two adults. United does not allow family pooling at all.
So u don't need to add nominees or something like that for united? That seems open for misuse 😅.

Rajeev

TF Select
VIP Lounge
So u don't need to add nominees or something like that for united? That seems open for misuse 😅.
Yes, no need to add nominees. I don’t think it causes any misuse. On the contrary, I feel requiring people to add nominees is too restrictive. Air miles are airline currency, and I believe you should be able to spend it as you wish just like real currency.

Rajeev

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Etihad has a concept of family membership, where you can link accounts belonging to your family members. However, those members must be related to you. Once linked, you can pool your miles and book flights for everyone in the family. A family can have up to nine members. Please refer to this link for more information.

I don't know if you can book flights for someone not part of the family.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

SQ-1.png

SQ-2.png

usual.

United - 1.png

United - 2 .png

If we go for mixed itenary, then do we need transfer luggage by ourself or airline will take care of that?

harshit_agrawal

TF Premier
RML Group
VIP Lounge
You can book Air India flights from Turkish Airlines as well.
I booked an Air India flight from Paris to Delhi through Turkish Airlines
Some mile comparsion
United - 33k miles
KrisFlyer - 30.5k miles
Turkish Miles & Smiles - 19k miles
Tax was same for all.
Pls tell the process to check award flight of air india through turkish miles & smiles.

Rajeev

TF Select
VIP Lounge
If we go for mixed itenary, then do we need transfer luggage by ourself or airline will take care of that?
I’m not 100% sure, but since Air India and Vistara are not code share partners. You will probably have to take luggage by yourself.