• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best way to book refundable flight before visa application

cks

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hi - I'll be applying for Schengen visa. For the same I need to purchase return flight tickets. Now the risk is that if for some reason visa is rejected, then I'll lose money as the tickets are mostly non refundable. What is the best way to book flight tickets for such cases?

jamesdolan

TF Select
VIP Lounge
You have a few options

1) Book fully refundable ticket
2) Book using united mileage plus which has free cancellation
3) use a dummy ticket - this is risky if you are found out

ak93

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi - I'll be applying for Schengen visa. For the same I need to purchase return flight tickets. Now the risk is that if for some reason visa is rejected, then I'll lose money as the tickets are mostly non refundable. What is the best way to book flight tickets for such cases?
Book flex tickets which allow reschedule/cancellation. People go through travel agents for fake booking as well but I wouldn't suggest that.

I recently booked through Turkish miles earned through Magnus card, there was a cancellation fee of $75 per pax. So you could do that as well if you have points.

If you are applying through Italy, you need non-refundable tickets I think.

cks

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Thanks. I'm traveling to Paris. Need to buy cash ticket for forward journey, not getting any reasonable refundable option. For the return journey, already booked through United points, so that is refundable and covered.