• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Bank CC Scam - Unauthorized and Fraudulent Issuance of Credit Card in my name and fraudulent usage! Help

VikTheRam

TF Neo
I have recently downloaded my CIBIL report which showed that AXIS Bank has issued 3 credit card in my name which have NEVER been applied by myself. As per the CIBIL report, all 3 cards are issued in the months of Jan-Feb 2024. I also noticed that there was an additional registered address (located in Ghatkopar, Mumbai - I stay in Gurgaon) and an additional registered mobile number showing in my profile in my CIBIL report.

I called up the AXIS Bank toll free number to report this matter and was able to confirm that the cards are issued in my name but are registered to mobile number and addresses which appear in the CIBIL report, which do not belong to me.

One of the cards has been used for spends amounting to Rs. 4.75 lacs (which is the credit limit on the card). I have registered the complaint with the bank, after lot of arguing with customer care but they seem to be reluctant to take any action (as per them, since I am not calling from registered mobile number, they can't act on my complaint. The logic that the registered mobile number belongs to the scammer is beyond them).

Any advise on how to handle this situation. Already my credit score has taken a huge fall. In addition, since the cards are technically in my name, I am afraid of the potential fall out of the amount spent on them.

I am completely at sea as to how this could have happened but am assuming that maybe my PAN and Aadhar data got compromised. But despite the same, would someone just having access to my PAN and Aadhar be able to do get a credit card? What about other KYC requirements, how would these be circumvented. I am suspecting some collussion from the bank's end in this also.

I also noticed multiple credit enquiries on my credit report for credit card and personal loan requests from various other financial institutions during the same Jan-Feb period, none of which were initiated by me.

What would be the best way to handle this? Anyone faced similar situation?

VikTheRam

TF Neo
I have taken the following steps so far:

• Registered complaint with AXIS Bank customer care with a service request number. In addition, submitted complaint by email to Axis Bank Nodal Officer (local) for handling Ombudsman complaint. Complaint has been escalated and is under processing.

• Visited local AXIS Bank branch and met with local credit card representative who verified that the out of the 3 cards issued, 1 has already been closed, 1 has been used for doing online transactions of 4.75 lacs and 3rd card also has some smaller transactions done. He took my personal details including copies of my PAN Card & Aadhar card and has sent mail to Mumbai HO where the CC team is based. He also suggested to lodge an online complaint with cybercrime.gov.in

• Registered online complaing with cybercrime.gov.in and got an acknowledgement number. Online complaint filed with cybercrime.gov.in has been registered and handed over to Cyber Crime Police Station in Gurgaon. I will be following up with them in person for next steps.

• Tagged, named & shamed AXIS bank on social media including Twitter. Their social media team reached back to me and have taken my case details and opened a service ticket against the same.

• Found out from AXIS Bank that the scammer made a duplicate copy of my PAN Card and changed the photo and father's name. Using this, he was able to clear the Video KYC and get CC approved. I am following up for more details on this.

• Checked my Aadhar card history and authentication details. Did not find any discrepency. No unauthorized Aadhar authentication done, no changes in personal details including name and phone numbers. Am assuming my Aadhar card details are not compromised.