• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

An Enchanting South American Adventure - Trip Report and Mileage Redemption Success

raji

TF Buzz
I am sharing the incredible journey my wife and I experienced during our recent trip to South America in October 2023. This long-anticipated adventure was made possible by a stroke of luck and strategic planning, which I'm excited to share.

After months of meticulous planning, we managed to secure a fantastic deal on business class tickets for our South American escapade. In April 2023, I was delighted to find a compelling offer using Turkish Airlines points on their Star Alliance partner, Ethiopian Airlines. The booking included a one-way Business Class flight from Delhi to Buenos Aires for 60,000 miles plus INR 3500/- in taxes on Ethiopian Airlines. The return leg from Buenos Aires to Delhi, also on Ethiopian Airlines, cost us another 60,000 miles plus INR 8085/- With both my wife and I traveling, the total cost in business class amounted to 240,000 Turkish miles and INR 23170/-. This incredible deal translated to a redemption value of 1 Turkish mile = 3.16 INR, making it a true steal compared to the revenue class rates ( 391000/- PP rtn).

Ethiopian Airlines proved to be a smooth and efficient connection to South America from India, with a total travel time of 25-26 hours, including transit. The Business Class experience was luxurious, accompanied by excellent service. The transit lounge in Addis Ababa offered a pleasant respite with a variety of food options and bathing facilities.

Our South American itinerary comprised 4 nights in Buenos Aires, 3 nights in Salta, 3 nights at Iguazu Falls, and 4 nights in Rio de Janeiro. Buenos Aires welcomed us with a centrally located five-star haven, the Palladio Hotel Buenos Aires-MGallery. The favorable exchange rate due to the Peso devaluation and the Blue rate on our Indian-issued Visa credit card made Argentina incredibly affordable.Highlights of our trip included visits to Teatro Colon, Palermo, Puerto Madero, Cementerio de Recoleta, Tigre Delta day trip, Caminito, Plaza de Mayo, La Boca, and San Telmo in Buenos Aires.

In Salta, we explored the historic Old Town, visited the cathedral, and embarked on a captivating full-day trip to the 14 Colored Mountains (Hornocal/Humahuaca). At Iguazu Falls, we marveled at both the Argentine and Brazilian sides, took a thrilling boat ride below the falls (Gran Aventura), and explored the extraordinary Bird Park (Parques des Avis).

The grand finale of our journey was in Rio de Janeiro, where we soaked in the beauty of Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Selarón Steps, Little Africa, Museo de Amanha, and the vibrant Copacabana Beach. Our stay at the Hilton Copacabana, courtesy of my Hilton Diamond status, offered panoramic views and added to the lively atmosphere of this 5-star gem.

In summary, leveraging Miles & Smiles (Turkish miles) on Star Alliance Partner, Ethiopian Airlines, provided us with unparalleled value in Business Class. The transfer of Magnus Points to Turkish Miles resulted in a redemption value of 1 Mile = 3.16INR, making our South American adventure not only memorable but also exceptionally economical.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 10.53.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 10.53.11 PM.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 14 Color Mountain Hornocal .jpeg
    14 Color Mountain Hornocal .jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 14 Colored Mountain .jpeg
    14 Colored Mountain .jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Ethiopian Airlines Business Class.jpeg
    Ethiopian Airlines Business Class.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 28
  • Buenos Aires.jpeg
    Buenos Aires.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Caminito Buenos Aires.jpeg
    Caminito Buenos Aires.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Room at Palladio McGallery Buenos Aires.jpeg
    Room at Palladio McGallery Buenos Aires.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Iguazu Fall.jpeg
    Iguazu Fall.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Copacabana beach View From Room Hilton Copacabana.jpeg
    Copacabana beach View From Room Hilton Copacabana.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Room Hilton Copacabana.jpeg
    Room Hilton Copacabana.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Selaron Steps.jpeg
    Selaron Steps.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Rio de Janeiro.jpeg
    Rio de Janeiro.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 32

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I am sharing the incredible journey my wife and I experienced during our recent trip to South America in October 2023. This long-anticipated adventure was made possible by a stroke of luck and strategic planning, which I'm excited to share.

After months of meticulous planning, we managed to secure a fantastic deal on business class tickets for our South American escapade. In April 2023, I was delighted to find a compelling offer using Turkish Airlines points on their Star Alliance partner, Ethiopian Airlines. The booking included a one-way Business Class flight from Delhi to Buenos Aires for 60,000 miles plus INR 3500/- in taxes on Ethiopian Airlines. The return leg from Buenos Aires to Delhi, also on Ethiopian Airlines, cost us another 60,000 miles plus INR 8085/- With both my wife and I traveling, the total cost in business class amounted to 240,000 Turkish miles and INR 23170/-. This incredible deal translated to a redemption value of 1 Turkish mile = 3.16 INR, making it a true steal compared to the revenue class rates ( 391000/- PP rtn).

Ethiopian Airlines proved to be a smooth and efficient connection to South America from India, with a total travel time of 25-26 hours, including transit. The Business Class experience was luxurious, accompanied by excellent service. The transit lounge in Addis Ababa offered a pleasant respite with a variety of food options and bathing facilities.

Our South American itinerary comprised 4 nights in Buenos Aires, 3 nights in Salta, 3 nights at Iguazu Falls, and 4 nights in Rio de Janeiro. Buenos Aires welcomed us with a centrally located five-star haven, the Palladio Hotel Buenos Aires-MGallery. The favorable exchange rate due to the Peso devaluation and the Blue rate on our Indian-issued Visa credit card made Argentina incredibly affordable.Highlights of our trip included visits to Teatro Colon, Palermo, Puerto Madero, Cementerio de Recoleta, Tigre Delta day trip, Caminito, Plaza de Mayo, La Boca, and San Telmo in Buenos Aires.

In Salta, we explored the historic Old Town, visited the cathedral, and embarked on a captivating full-day trip to the 14 Colored Mountains (Hornocal/Humahuaca). At Iguazu Falls, we marveled at both the Argentine and Brazilian sides, took a thrilling boat ride below the falls (Gran Aventura), and explored the extraordinary Bird Park (Parques des Avis).

The grand finale of our journey was in Rio de Janeiro, where we soaked in the beauty of Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf Mountain, Selarón Steps, Little Africa, Museo de Amanha, and the vibrant Copacabana Beach. Our stay at the Hilton Copacabana, courtesy of my Hilton Diamond status, offered panoramic views and added to the lively atmosphere of this 5-star gem.

In summary, leveraging Miles & Smiles (Turkish miles) on Star Alliance Partner, Ethiopian Airlines, provided us with unparalleled value in Business Class. The transfer of Magnus Points to Turkish Miles resulted in a redemption value of 1 Mile = 3.16INR, making our South American adventure not only memorable but also exceptionally economical.
This is quite a good redemption , 60k miles for 20+ hours is actually great.

Ethiopian is the best African airlines , it's even better than KQ and has a remarkable hard product.

Apart from Hilton which all hotel chains did you use in SA

raji

TF Buzz
This is quite a good redemption , 60k miles for 20+ hours is actually great.

Ethiopian is the best African airlines , it's even better than KQ and has a remarkable hard product.

Apart from Hilton which all hotel chains did you use in SA
We booked Sheraton Salta in salta , used MB points for stay. It was decent Four star hotel with nice restaurant & coffee shop.
In Iguazu Fall, we stayed at Brazilian Side, Double Tree Foz do Iguacu but this hotel did not come upto our expectations, Poor service & House Keeping.

Thats really great value for your points and an even better experience considering the continent.

I am planning an Antartica cruise either later this year or early 2025. I wanted to understand the visa process for both Argentina and Brazil, can you share some details?

raji

TF Buzz
Thats really great value for your points and an even better experience considering the continent.

I am planning an Antartica cruise either later this year or early 2025. I wanted to understand the visa process for both Argentina and Brazil, can you share some details?
For Argentina Visa , I read on https://eindi.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/visado & took online appointment to submit documents . I visited Embassy of Argentina in Delhi to submit documents . After 2-3 Weeks, I received e mail for visa interview date & time . Interview was for 10 min . Within 1 week of interview I got message to collect Passports. Please note that Argentina Visa is free for Indian Citizens.
For Brazil Visa , link is on https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaix...visa-application-requirements-all-visas-types, here we need to submit all documents online. Once Online Submission is checked , we get date to submit manually same documents at Brazil Embassy , New Delhi. There is no need to visit personally , Others can visit to submit these documents. Visa is 5 years Multi Entry.

jamesdolan

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Really good redemption here. I have been eyeing south America myself maybe for next year but surely not getting a deal anywhere as good as this. Congratulations to you

For Argentina Visa , I read on https://eindi.cancilleria.gob.ar/es/visado & took online appointment to submit documents . I visited Embassy of Argentina in Delhi to submit documents . After 2-3 Weeks, I received e mail for visa interview date & time . Interview was for 10 min . Within 1 week of interview I got message to collect Passports. Please note that Argentina Visa is free for Indian Citizens.
For Brazil Visa , link is on https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/embaix...visa-application-requirements-all-visas-types, here we need to submit all documents online. Once Online Submission is checked , we get date to submit manually same documents at Brazil Embassy , New Delhi. There is no need to visit personally , Others can visit to submit these documents. Visa is 5 years Multi Entry.
Thanks for the info, pretty useful. I'll apply via Mumbai so will see how it goes form here.