• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex MRCC Renewal Fee Negotiation

vikasr94

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hi, Starting this thread to collate all options/offers provided by AMEX during renewal. I had searched the same in this community and on web to find out if there were any negotiation tactics but could hardly find any useful information.

My MRCC card is up for renewal, I hold this card since 2018 and has a renewal fee of Rs 4500. I started a chat with the support team few days before the renewal date and requested them to transfer to a retention team.

The retention team gave the following option:

I can go ahead and make onetime exception by issuing reversal against 75% of renewal membership fee. Total renewal membership fee is Rs 2250+GST and we will issue reversal Rs 1,687.50+GST.

You can enjoy the embedded card benefits for complete membership year just by paying Rs 562.50+GST

Please share your consent (Yes/No) to apply this exception

I informed them that I use Amex Plat travel as primary and most of the spends are there and requested them for a full waiver.

You have amazing spending history on other card. So, I can go ahead and give you 100% reversal against annual membership fee, if you can manage to spend Rs 30,000 in 90 days. The best part is, all the benefits will remain same.

I took up this offer as I can easily meet 4 months monthly rewards which accounts to 24k (1.5k*4 transactions * 4 months i.e. July, Aug, Sept & Oct), If I spend an incremental 6k on top of this then I get Rs 562.50+GST waived off.

I remember a friend mentioning that he pressed them further and asked them to cancel the card and they did a full waiver of the renewal fees. This is something I did not want to try but it is an option if someone wants to consider.

vikasr94

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Some time they offer 9000 MR points
Please can we get the information even for the gold card ?
last year, they had charged me Rs 2250+GST and in return they had credited 10620 points.

I have my platinum travel card renewal coming up in 6 months, I will to know how to reduce the renewal fee as much as possible.

FinGuru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi, Starting this thread to collate all options/offers provided by AMEX during renewal. I had searched the same in this community and on web to find out if there were any negotiation tactics but could hardly find any useful information.

My MRCC card is up for renewal, I hold this card since 2018 and has a renewal fee of Rs 4500. I started a chat with the support team few days before the renewal date and requested them to transfer to a retention team.

I can go ahead and make onetime exception by issuing reversal against 75% of renewal membership fee. Total renewal membership fee is Rs 2250+GST and we will issue reversal Rs 1,687.50+GST.

You can enjoy the embedded card benefits for complete membership year just by paying Rs 562.50+GST

I informed them that I use Amex Plat travel as primary and most of the spends are there and requested them for a full waiver.

You have amazing spending history on other card. So, I can go ahead and give you 100% reversal against annual membership fee, if you can manage to spend Rs 30,000 in 90 days. The best part is, all the benefits will remain same.

I took up this offer as I can easily meet 4 months monthly rewards which accounts to 24k (1.5k*4 transactions * 4 months i.e. July, Aug, Sept & Oct), If I spend an incremental 6k on top of this then I get Rs 562.50+GST waived off.

I remember a friend mentioning that he pressed them further and asked them to cancel the card and they did a full waiver of the renewal fees. This is something I did not want to try but it is an option if someone wants to consider.
Ideally, MRCC should come LTF as long as one is holding Plat travel

srichaitanya

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Retention team also available on chat or they call after talking to support on chat?

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@vikasr94 A slightly more radical take but a more permanent solution: if you want to keep an MRCC along with your Plat Travel, cancel the MRCC once the referrals start again and apply for a fresh MRCC with referral. When issued on referral, it costs only ₹1500 so it pinches less even if you can't meet spend targets. I did the same way back in 2020 or so.

Off topic, how do you optimise both Plat Travel and MRCC? I understand that the points don't pool up between them, so do you have to redeem them both separately?

addy

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
last year, they had charged me Rs 2250+GST and in return they had credited 10620 points.

I have my platinum travel card renewal coming up in 6 months, I will to know how to reduce the renewal fee as much as possible.
I was able to get it 100% waived off this year and last year i forfeited 10000 points against the fees.

vikasr94

TF Select
VIP Lounge
@vikasr94 A slightly more radical take but a more permanent solution: if you want to keep an MRCC along with your Plat Travel, cancel the MRCC once the referrals start again and apply for a fresh MRCC with referral. When issued on referral, it costs only ₹1500 so it pinches less even if you can't meet spend targets. I did the same way back in 2020 or so.

Off topic, how do you optimise both Plat Travel and MRCC? I understand that the points don't pool up between them, so do you have to redeem them both separately?
Regarding optimising spends, (1) I use MRCC for fuel spends only, I fuel my car twice a month for rs 3000 each and I ask the guy to swipe Rs 1500 twice so that I hit 4 transactions of Rs 1500 to get the monthly bonus (2). I got this card in December and haven’t fully optimised the spends but for this year, I did a jewellery purchase of 4L on this card to get all the milestone rewards associated with this. Trying to figure out the best retention option for now so that I pay very minimum from hand, in the worst case I will ask them to cancel the card.

vikasr94

TF Select
VIP Lounge

Cancelling and reapplying with reduced joining fee is not a bad option.

I had received an offer to upgrade to Plat travel and convert MRCC to LTF in 2020 but I was an amateur on points and did not take that up.