• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Gold Charge Card Return% Calculations Worst Case (w/o Bonus MR inc Renewal Fees)

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I understand this makes sense for a business but didn’t think of applying the concept on a personal basis. Nonetheless,
Whenever money is involoved, especially on a regular basis, we should think like buisness only..

Think from the angle that your are doing a "CC spending business" ... ;)

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Thanks @SSV

So that means the reward rate mentioned in the link below is not correct?

Before we go further did you understand the difference between capital expenditure and regular expenditure in my example?
Do you agree with my statements?

1715248945618.png

Very well noted :D

I have been considering GP return rate

Post this explanation net profit return rate does sound more logical

Okay, Coming back to your original question, which prompted all this discussion...
I hope you got your answers.....

Copycat

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Question: We've already seen that the APay is superior to the GC. So why would anyone want to have a GC if the renewal fees are not waived/reduced?
At what spend levels are the fees for the GC reduced/waived?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Ok. I made a fool of myself!
I would have 5310 cash in hand and 1440 Amazon GC. Which is better than 6336 Amazon GC
I'm an idiot!
I really liked this post.. you know why...
Correcting and accepting the mistakes and living in the reality...
All of us do mistakes and a very very few accepts them . Instead they go on and on and on in loops in defending their mistakes / lies etc...
It is just waste of life ..
Instead , it is much better to accpet it and move on ....

Good ON you mate ... well done...

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Question: We've already seen that the APay is superior to the GC. So why would anyone want to have a GC if the renewal fees are not waived/reduced?
I will answer in a very simple way... If you reddem it for better redemption options then it is useful.. if your redemption option is only GOld Collection , with no renewal benefit it is not a great card at all... I dont want to go into detailed calcs as I already spent more time on this topic.

msk1437

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Now returns with joining benefits + joining fee waiver via referral for first year (BEST CASE SCENARIO exluding referrals made)

(May 9)
Current Fee: 1180/-
Current benefit: 4000 MR + 2000 MR = 6000 MR

Spends: 6000/- × 12 = 72000/-
Rewards: 1600 MR × 12 = 19200 MR

Value of rewards via gold collection apay: 25200 MR × 1/3 = 8400/-

Effective return: (8400-1180)/72000 = 7220/72000 = 10.0278%

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Now returns with joining benefits + joining fee waiver via referral for first year (BEST CASE SCENARIO exluding referrals made)

(May 9)
Current Fee: 1180/-
Current benefit: 4000 MR + 2000 MR = 6000 MR

Spends: 6000/- × 12 = 72000/-
Rewards: 1600 MR × 12 = 19200 MR

Value of rewards via gold collection apay: 25200 MR × 1/3 = 8400/-

Effective return: (8400-1180)/72000 = 7220/72000 = 10.0278%
Front 2nd year onwards?
How much you would expecting renewal feecwaiver on 72 k annual spends ??

jk51

TF Premier
There are only two spend levels which I feel yields the best returns on this card

Either 72,000/- (and then negotiating MR points against fee payment) 6% net in this case

Or

=>2 lacs (2,40,000 to be exact and then negotiating MR points against fee payment) 4.16% net in this case. This has become a bit difficult post Apay voucher capping of 10k per account.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Either 72,000/- (and then negotiating MR points against fee payment) 6% net in this case
Realistically how many MR points you get for fee payment against 72k previous spends?
Any idea with your previous experience?

jk51

TF Premier
Realistically how many MR points you get for fee payment against 72k previous spends?
Any idea with your previous experience?
I received 12.5k last year on 72,000 spends. And year before that had spend more than 2 lac hence was given two options 1. To spend 1.2 lac in next 3 months for complete waiver and 2. To pay 1500+tax

Chose the second option. Many within peers have been given at least 10k MR points at on 72,000/- annual spends (in one case it was 60,000/-) so safe to assume the range of 10-12.5k of range. Shall see what is offered this year. I believe it’s a decent card till any decent renewal/retention benefit is offered.