• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Charge Worth it?

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I already have Gold Charge and couple of days back I received a call from Amex about the Plat charge card. Is Platinum Charge worth it?

DrPDS

TF Buzz
Plat Charge is a big change from regular cards.
1. It has to be paid in full so there is no credit beyond the few days till your bill is due.
2. It is not about discounts or points but about maximizing the value you get
3. Plat concierge is really nice. If you travel a fair bit, then yes else no way.

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Plat Charge is a big change from regular cards.
1. It has to be paid in full so there is no credit beyond the few days till your bill is due.
3. Plat concierge is really nice. If you travel a fair bit, then yes else no way.
Brah!

I have a gold charge card. I understand the how charge cards work.

Curious to know more. If you have one, please talk more about how your experience has been so far?

I am not banking this although I know Amex customer service is amazing so ok. My Burgundy, Infinia, Magnus experiences have okay..

CCUser_1999

TF Premier
I like it!

I am thinking of moving on from Infinia. My monthly net income (net) is 3Lac+ so I am thinking of either Reserve or Amex Plat. I am not sold on Reserve yet.
I got Amex plat few months back. In my experience it's more of a lifestyle card. You can never get the value in terms of points if that is your objective. What is does well is that it give lot of premium membership like Marriott Gold etc which helps to gets upgrade if you are staying in such properties. If this matches your lifestyle go for it.... I might not get it renewed next year unless I get some very good renewal offer. The spend required to make best use of this is too much for my liking.

DrPDS

TF Buzz
Brah!

I have a gold charge card. I understand the how charge cards work.

Curious to know more. If you have one, please talk more about how your experience has been so far?

I am not banking this although I know Amex customer service is amazing so ok. My Burgundy, Infinia, Magnus experiences have okay..
Yes, my bad. Didnt mean to imply you wouldn't know.
Exp has been good. Some bookings have been eased. They have a 25% off on Taj going on. I had some travel so totally made the most of that.
The epicure has further saved 20% ish on food. So just the Taj bit has led to some recovery.
I care about golf. That has been a wonderful thing. The process is seamless. It is nice to see that someone is working for you. The concierge is better than the Customer Care.
Experiences wise: I have had no experience. They invited me for some food tasting in Chennai. I am based out of way north so no fun.
New to the points game so not sure if there is some value there.
What else am I missing?

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Why not on Reserve?
Well Reserve is not completely out but the reason why hold Amex charge since 8 years is because of the region change option. Amex allows its customers to move their card to different countries. I have lived in EU for couple of years and my Gold card was customized to that specific region, the benefits reflected for the country I was in. So thats a big mobility option.

I have Magnus, which somewhat mimics the benefits of Reserve and I am not into Golf.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Well if Amex is offering 1Lac+ points then you can try the card for 1st year and then decide on renewal for next year depending on the use.those 1lac points will easily fetch you more value than card fee.

some benefits are 10K taj vouchers on your birthday,30k taj vouchers if you book a domestic holiday(flights+hotel) worth 1lac.25% on taj,pay 2 get 3 nights for Oberoi.

I saved 80K on a single trip with this card when I booked oberoi shimla properties.so I will say this card is totally worth if it suits your lifestyle.

I already have Gold Charge and couple of days back I received a call from Amex about the Plat charge card. Is Platinum Charge worth it?

Who can say if it is worth it or not for you if this is all the information you're willing to share? The answer to your question is - maybe who knows!!!

You should talk about typical annual/monthly spends and your past or dream redemption, desire to waste money etc... at least something that people can use to advice you around.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
want to know more on the 80k saving trup. What did you do? 50% off on Suite?
I took the pay for 2 get 3rd night free offer.stayed at both the Oberoi properties in Shimla. so i pay for 4 days and stayed 6 days.also there are other benefits like 15% discount on food,spa etc and a bottle of wine and room upgrade subject to availability.

also since the total amount was more than 1 lac,i also received 30K taj vouchers.

50% suite offer is not that great.you can get a similar rate with oberoi one membership also which is free.

aj204~

TF Buzz
Trying it out for the first time. Took the bait with 125k points on offer. So far the answer is No.
So far I haven't been able to use it for any other benefit - planning to check out centurian lounge next month and apart from that I havent been able to extract much value out of it.
I am already a Bonvoy Titanium elite - so other memberships do not offer much value to me.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@hrish88 any idea?
Also, where to see this offer I spoke with one of RM executive she said it's not there anymore only 10k birthday benefit available
the offer is not available anymore.will update this thread if something new comes in future.currently there is a spend based offer going on.i have received 25K taj vouchers for 7lac spend offer.its till the end of april.you may receive a different offer depending on profile

cartoon_soldier

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
It is a very different cards than Infinia or Magnus, so can't do a direct comparison.

For example, on last Sunday I booked a Virgin Atlantic flight from Mumbai - JFK, 2 week travel during April in Premium Economy.

This is how it went:

On VA website, till Friday the 26th, the cost was coming to 2750 pounds = 2.9L INR. On Sunday, when I did the actual booking the cost was showing up at 3200 pounds = 3.4L INR

I booked via Amex Platinum Travel Services, my booking for same flights and class cost me 2.66L (2.64L tickets + 2k Amex fee).

So, I saved 25000 - 75000 INR depending on when you compare it to the normal website fare.

And this fare includes 1 free change if I need to do so.

During the US trip, I will be renting a car for 1 week. Normal rate for this rental is 600 USD, Amex Hertz rate is coming to 400 USD. So that will save me 200 USD there = 16k INR basically.

So, just for this trip, I will have saved at least 40k INR.

I can also get free travel insurance from them for the trip but have never tried that till now since supplementary card holders don't get it.

The value can only come from these things, the points you earn is really a separate factor for this card.

SM24

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Can we do the booking of Rs 1 lac plus for someone else using Amex platinum charge card and get Rs 30k benefit or they dont allow booking in other person name?
This used to be called Kaizen offer.
It's not available anymore.

I think you need to be part of the travelling party.
If supplementary card holder books. Then he/she should be part of the travelling group.

Recently Amex Plat had a watered down version on offer.
15K Taj Voucher for 1L booking.

This offer was available from Oct 2023 to Jan 2024, if I remember right.

You have today and tomorrow to go !